In the fast-paced world of business, finding the perfect destination for your work trips can make all the difference. Germany—with its rich history, thriving economy, and picturesque landscapes—offers an wide range of exceptional destinations for business travelers in 2023. Germany’s bustling industry comprises the automotive, mechanical engineering, chemical, electrical, and more.
Whether you're attending conferences, meetings, or sealing deals, the 10 most popular German destinations for business travel provide the ideal backdrop for your professional endeavors.
Top 10 business traveler destinations in Germany
Though Germany provides a wide variety of vibrant destinations for corporate travelers, the most popular destinations are:
The German capital pulses with innovation and cultural dynamism, making it an unparalleled hub for business travelers seeking inspiration. From the historic Brandenburg Gate to modern marvels like the Berlin Hauptbahnhof, this city effortlessly mixes history with contemporary vitality. There’s something for every type of traveler in Berlin:
- Explore vibrant start-up scenes in Mitte and Kreuzberg
- Attend industry-leading expos at the Messe Berlin
- Seal deals amidst the historic charm of Charlottenburg Palace
- The closest airport, BER, is a 30-minute taxi ride to the city and about 1 hour by public transit
- The biggest event of 2023 was the IFA conference
- The biggest venues are The Estrel Congress and Messe Center
Bavaria's capital, Munich, blends rich traditional heritage with economic progress, offering a truly unique and captivating experience for business travelers. Steeped in history, yet forward-looking, this city stands as a testament to Germany's industrial and technological advances, as well as to its bustling automobile industry.
- Network at the state of the art Munich Technology Center in Garching, where innovation flourishes
- Immerse yourself in Bavarian hospitality and culture at the iconic Hofbräuhaus after a day of productive meetings
- Benefit from Munich's excellent transportation links to access nearby industrial hubs and expand your business network
- The closest airport (MUC) is a 30-minute taxi ride to the city center and about 45 minutes by public transit
- The biggest event of 2023 was ISPO Munich 2023
- The biggest venue is the MOC Event Center Messe Munchen
Known as Germany's financial capital, Frankfurt's skyline is a testament to its economic significance. Beyond its impressive architecture lies a city that seamlessly blends business with culture, making it the ideal destination for both work and leisure. Business travel benefits include:
- Attend trade shows at the Frankfurt Trade Fair
- Network within the financial district's lively atmosphere
- Unwind after meetings with a stroll through Palmengarten
- The closest airport (FRA) is one of Europe’s busiest and only a 20-minute taxi ride to the city center or about 30 minutes by public transit
- The biggest event of 2023 was ECR TAG - The Congress for Retail and the Consumer Goods Industry
- The biggest venue is Congress Center Messe Frankfurt
With any spare time, business travelers can attend cultural events at the Alte Oper, Frankfurt's iconic opera house, and explore the historical charm of Römerberg, a picturesque square in the Altstadt.
As a thriving port city with a blend of maritime history and a bustling business landscape, Hamburg captivates business travelers with its unique charm and vibrant energy. It's a city where history intertwines with modernity, offering plenty of opportunities for your business. Business travelers can:
- Attend conferences at the HafenCity Universität
- Explore the renowned Miniatur Wunderland after successful negotiations
- Take advantage of the city's extensive waterfront for networking events
- The closest airport (HAM) is a 25-minute taxi ride to the city center and about 40 minutes by public transit
- The biggest event of 2023 was the International Forum and Trade Fair for Educational Building
- The biggest venue is the Congress Center Hamburg
After hours, business travelers visiting Hamburg can immerse themselves in the city's maritime heritage by exploring the International Maritime Museum or enjoy team-building activities at Alster Lake, surrounded by Hamburg's picturesque scenery.
This Rhine city's mix of art, fashion, and commerce sets the stage for impactful business ventures. With its dynamic business ecosystem and cultural richness, Düsseldorf offers something for all business travelers:
- Attend international trade fairs at Messe Düsseldorf
- Engage with colleagues against the backdrop of the MediaHarbor
- Enjoy art and culture at the North Rhine-Westphalia Art Collection
- The closest airport (DUS) is a 15-minute taxi ride to the city center and about 20 minutes by public transit
- The biggest event of 2023 was the MEDICA
- The biggest venue is the Düsseldorf Convention Center
Between events, explore the captivating Old Town (Altstadt), with its historic charm, restaurants, and bars.
The iconic Cologne Cathedral sets the tone for a city where history and modern business blend together. Cologne's rich heritage and vibrant business district offer a well-rounded experience that caters to diverse professional needs:
- Arrange impactful meetings and collaborations at the Koelnmesse exhibition center
- Foster team unity and communication with engaging activities along the Rhine River
- Balance work and leisure by going back in time and exploring the charming Old Town
- The closest airport (CGN) is a 15-minute taxi to the city center and about 30 minutes by public transit.
- The biggest event of 2023 was the DMEXCO
- The biggest venue is the Cologne Exhibition Center
Set in picturesque Baden-Württemberg, Stuttgart thrives as an industrial powerhouse. The city's impressive business landscape is complemented by its rich heritage, making it an inspiring destination for travelers seeking both professional and personal growth.
- Collaborate with cutting-edge companies in the automotive sector
- Attend seminars at the Württemberg Chamber of Commerce
- The closest airport (STR) is a 25-minute taxi ride to the city center and about 30 minutes by public transit
- The biggest event of 2023 was the Fastener Fair Stuttgart
- The biggest venue is the convention center Haus der Wirtschaft
Unwind amid natural beauty at the Wilhelma Zoological and Botanical Garden or explore the cultural heart of the city at the State Gallery Stuttgart, home to a remarkable collection spanning centuries.
Renown for its trade fairs, scientific institutions, and forward-looking mindset, Hanover beckons business travelers with its unique blend of innovation and tradition. Nestled in Lower Saxony, this city provides a dynamic environment that fosters collaboration, knowledge exchange, and meaningful business endeavors.
- Network at the Hanover Fairground, a global trade show hub
- Collaborate with researchers at Leibniz University Hannover
- Explore the stunning Herrenhausen Gardens during breaks
- The closest airport (HAJ) is a 25-minute taxi ride to the city center and about 40 minutes by public transit
- The biggest event of 2023 was the Hannover Messe
- The biggest venue is the Hanover Fairground
Once you’ve clocked out for the day, dive into Hanover's musical culture by attending a performance at the Hanover State Opera.
Nuremberg, a dynamic city in Germany's Bavaria region, is a prime destination for business travelers. With a thriving economy driven by the automotive, IT, and medical technology sectors, it offers excellent connectivity through its international airport and train network.
The Nuremberg Messe hosts major trade events, providing lots of networking opportunities. After work, visitors can explore the city's history, including landmarks like the Nuremberg Castle and the picturesque Old Town.
- The closest airport (NUE) is a 10-minute taxi ride to the city center and about 12 minutes by public transit
- Nuremberg is also accessible by car or train from Munich within two hours
- The biggest event of 2023 was the Kommunale Nuremberg 2023
- The biggest venue is the Nuremberg Messe
In the heart of Germany, Leipzig is a city of contrasts, where historical landmarks sit alongside modern innovation, creating a dynamic atmosphere that will captivate and inspire business travelers. A city of rich history and vibrant arts, Leipzig offers unique corporate prospects in 2023 and unique aspects for travelers:
- Network at the Leipzig Book Fair, an international publishing event
- Explore Bach's heritage during downtime at St. Thomas Church
- Experience the convergence of history and innovation at SpinLab
- The closest airport (LEJ) is a 30-minute taxi ride to the city center and about 25 minutes by public transit
- The biggest event of 2023 was the Leipzig Fair
- The biggest venue is the Congress Center Leipzig
Delve into the city's musical heritage by attending a performance at the Leipzig Gewandhaus, one of the world's oldest concert halls.
The top 20 business travel destinations in Germany are:
Research for this article is a part of Booking.com for Business 2023 Business Travel Destinations project and is based on bookings made from July 2022 to July 2023. Travelers were originally global travelers who traveled for business purposes.