In the fast-paced world of business, finding the perfect destination for your work trips can make all the difference. Germany – with its blend of rich history, thriving economy and picturesque landscapes – offers an array of exceptional destinations for business travellers in 2023. Germany’s bustling industry comprises the automotive, mechanical engineering, chemical, electrical industries and more.
Whether you're attending conferences, meetings or sealing deals, the 10 most popular German destinations for business travel provide the ideal backdrop for your professional endeavours.
Top 10 business travellers destinations in Germany
Though Germany provides a wide variety of vibrant destinations for corporate travellers, the most popular destinations are as follows:
The German capital pulses with innovation and cultural dynamism, making it an unparalleled hub for business travellers seeking inspiration. From the historic Brandenburg Gate to modern marvels like the Berlin Hauptbahnhof, this city effortlessly mixes history with contemporary vitality. There’s something for all walks of corporate traveller in Berlin:
- Explore vibrant start-up scenes in Mitte and Kreuzberg
- Attend industry-leading expos at the Messe Berlin
- Seal deals amidst the historic charm of Charlottenburg Palace
- The closest airport, BER, is a 30 minute taxi ride to the city and about 1 hour by public transport
- The biggest event of 2023 was the IFA conference
- The biggest venues are The Estrel Congress and Messe Centre
Bavaria's capital, Munich, blends rich traditional heritage with its economic progress, offering a truly unique and captivating experience for business travellers. Steeped in history yet forward-looking, this city stands as a testament to Germany's industrial and technological advancements, as well as the bustling automobile industry.
- Network at the state of the art Munich Technology Centre in Garching – where innovation flourishes
- Immerse yourself in Bavarian hospitality and culture at the iconic Hofbräuhaus after a day of productive meetings
- Benefit from Munich's excellent transport links – allowing you to easily access nearby industrial hubs and expand your business network
- The closest airport (MUC) is a 30 minute taxi ride to the city centre and about 45 minutes by public transport
- The biggest event of 2023 was ISPO Munich 2023
- The biggest venue is the MOC Event Centre Messe Munchen
3. Frankfurt am Main
Known as Germany's financial capital, Frankfurt's skyline is a testament to its economic significance. However, beyond its impressive architecture lies a city that seamlessly blends business with culture, making it an ideal destination for both work and leisure. Business travel benefits include:
- Attend trade shows at the Frankfurt Trade Fair
- Network within the financial district's bustling atmosphere
- Relax post-meeting with a stroll through Palmengarten
- The closest airport (FRA) one of the busiest in Europe, is a 20 minute taxi ride to the city centre and about 30 minutes by public transport
- The biggest event of 2023 was ECR TAG - The Congress for Retail and the Consumer Goods Industry
- The biggest venue is Congress Centre Messe Frankfurt
With any spare time, corporate travellers can attend cultural events at the Alte Oper, Frankfurt's iconic opera house and explore the historical charm of Römerberg, a picturesque square in the Altstadt.
As a thriving port city with a captivating blend of maritime history and a bustling business landscape, Hamburg beckons to business travellers with its unique charm and vibrant energy. It's a city where history intertwines seamlessly with modernity, offering a plethora of opportunities for your business. Corporate travellers can:
- Attend conferences at the HafenCity Universität
- Explore the renowned Miniatur Wunderland after successful negotiations
- Take advantage of the city's extensive waterfront for networking events
- The closest airport (HAM) is a 25 minute taxi ride to the city centre and about 40 minutes by public transport
- The biggest event of 2023 was the International Forum and Trade Fair for Educational Building
- The biggest venue is the Congress Centre Hamburg
After hours, corporate travellers visiting Hamburg can immerse themselves in the city's maritime heritage by exploring the International Maritime Museum or enjoy team-building activities at Alster Lake, surrounded by Hamburg's picturesque beauty.
This Rhine city's mix of art, fashion and commerce sets the stage for impactful business ventures. With its dynamic business ecosystem and cultural richness, Düsseldorf offers something for all business travellers:
- Attend international trade fairs at Messe Düsseldorf
- Engage with colleagues against the backdrop of the MediaHarbor
- Immerse in art and culture at the North Rhine-Westphalia Art Collection
- The closest airport (DUS) is a 15 minute taxi ride to the city centre and about 20 minutes by public transport
- The biggest event of 2023 was the MEDICA
- The biggest venue is the Düsseldorf Convention Centre
Between events, explore the captivating Old Town (Altstadt), with its historical charm and a plethora of restaurants and bars.
The iconic Cologne Cathedral sets the tone for a city where history and modern business blend seamlessly. Cologne's rich heritage, combined with its vibrant business district, offers a well-rounded experience that caters to diverse professional needs:
- Arrange impactful meetings and collaborations at the Koelnmesse exhibition centre
- Foster team unity and communication with engaging activities along the picturesque Rhine River
- Balance work and leisure by taking a step back in time and exploring the enchanting charm of the Old Town
- The closest airport (CGN) is a 15 minute taxi to the city centre and about 30 minutes by public transport.
- The biggest event of 2023 was the DMEXCO
- The biggest venue is the Cologne Exhibition Centre
Located in picturesque Baden-Württemberg, Stuttgart thrives as an industrial powerhouse. The city's impressive business landscape is complemented by its rich cultural heritage, making it an inspiring destination for professionals seeking both professional growth and personal enrichment.
- Collaborate with cutting-edge companies in the automotive sector
- Attend seminars at the Württemberg Chamber of Commerce
- The closest airport (STR) is a 25 minute taxi ride to the city centre and about 30 minutes by public transport
- The biggest event of 2023 was the Fastener Fair Stuttgart
- The biggest venue is the convention centre Haus der Wirtschaft
Unwind amidst nature's beauty at the Wilhelma Zoological and Botanical Garden or explore the cultural heart of the city at the State Gallery Stuttgart, home to a remarkable collection of artworks spanning centuries.
Renowned for its trade fairs, scientific institutions, and forward-looking mindset, Hanover beckons business travellers with a unique blend of innovation and tradition. Nestled in Lower Saxony, this city provides a dynamic environment that fosters collaboration, knowledge exchange and meaningful business endeavours.
- Network at the Hanover Fairground (a global trade show hub)
- Collaborate with researchers at Leibniz University Hannover
- Explore the stunning Herrenhausen Gardens during breaks
- The closest airport (HAJ) is a 25 minute taxi ride to the city centre and about 40 minutes by public transport
- The biggest event of 2023 was the Hannover Messe
- The biggest venue is the Hanover Fairground
Once you’ve clocked off for the day, dive into Hanover's musical culture by attending a performance at the Hanover State Opera.
Nuremberg, a dynamic city in Germany's Bavaria region, is a prime destination for business travellers. With a thriving economy driven by automotive, IT, and medical technology sectors, it offers excellent connectivity through its international airport and rail network.
The Nuremberg Messe hosts major trade events, providing ample networking opportunities. After work, visitors can explore the city's historic charm, including landmarks like Nuremberg Castle and the picturesque Old Town.
- The closest airport (NUE) is a 10 minute taxi ride to the city centre and about 12 minutes by public transport
- Nuremberg is also reachable by car or train from Munich within 2 hours
- The biggest event of 2023 was the Kommunale Nuremberg 2023
- The biggest venue is the Nuremberg Messe
Right in the heart of Germany, Leipzig is a city of contrasts, where historical landmarks coexist harmoniously with modern innovation, creating a dynamic atmosphere that business travellers find both captivating and inspiring. A city of rich history and vibrant arts, Leipzig offers unique corporate prospects in 2023 and unique aspects for corporate travellers:
- Network at the Leipzig Book Fair (an international publishing event)
- Explore Bach's heritage during downtime at St. Thomas Church
- Experience the convergence of history and innovation at SpinLab
- The closest airport (LEJ) is a 30 minute taxi ride to the city centre and about 25 minutes by public transport
- The biggest event of 2023 was the Leipzig Fair
- The biggest venue is the Congress Centre Leipzig
Delve into the city's musical heritage by attending a performance at the Leipzig Gewandhaus, one of the world's oldest concert halls.
The top 20 business travel destinations in the Germany are:
- Frankfurt am Main
Research for this article is a part of Booking.com for Business 2023 Business Travel Destinations project and is based on bookings made from July 2022 to July 2023. Travellers were originally global travellers who travelled for business purposes.